Sunday, April 5, 2015

Song #14: Small World (2015 52-song Project)

This is a song I wrote in 1996 in response to a moment in Toronto when I realized that someone I had known from high school in Nova Scotia, and with whom I had been briefly and unsuccessfully roommates during a university summer, had started dating a guy who lived next door to me in Toronto.

Awkward run-in!

It was one of those big-city/small-world moments. And it brought out all of the elements in my personality that long for hermit-hood.

This song depicts my dream for an idyllic, rural lifestyle, shared with just the right person.


As I am currently enduring a somewhat nomadic month (for reasons I won't get into here—long story), I find myself yearning for this vision of a settled spot, a homestead.

I'm interested to find that my concept of a good, rural home hasn't changed much in 20 years. I still hope for a clothesline, tea, popcorn, a vegetable garden (and the time, energy and interest to tend that garden). And hopefully some good company.

It took me a long time to get out of Toronto.

It's taken me a while to decide what I want here in Nova Scotia.

I'm getting there.

This ideal is something I hope I can create for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment